Newsletter
Weather
Community
English home Forum Photo Gallery Features Newsletter Archive   About US Help Site Map
China
World
Opinion
Business
Sci-Edu
Culture/Life
Sports
Photos
 Services
- Newsletter
- Online Community
- China Biz Info
- News Archive
- Feedback
- Voices of Readers
- Weather Forecast
 RSS Feeds
- China 
- Business 
- World 
- Sci-Edu 
- Culture/Life 
- Sports 
- Photos 
- Most Popular 
- FM Briefings 
 Search
 About China
- China at a glance
- China in brief 2004
- Chinese history
- Constitution
- Laws & regulations
- CPC & state organs
- Ethnic minorities
- Selected Works of Deng Xiaoping

Home >> World
UPDATED: 07:54, March 01, 2006
Philippine military expects more anti-Arroyo rallies and coup attempt
font size    

The Philippine military said Tuesday more mass rallies and coup attempts could take place in the coming weeks as was revealed by a document seized from a fugitive soldier involved in a foiled coup plot last week.

A military intelligence report said that some factions inside the military could announce their withdrawal of support for President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo in the coming weeks.

The report said a mass anti-Arroyo rally planned by opposition forces on Feb. 24 was just the first stage of a wider plan to oust Arroyo from power.

"The next of the series of rallies will be held on March 31, when joining groups have pledged more or less 200,000 people to march to Malacanang (presidential palace) and conduct a vigil," said the four-page document released by the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) Public Information Office.

The document also gave a detailed account of the alleged alliance between rightist and leftist militant groups and an umbrella organization of several militant groups called " Association of Children of the Nation".

"The military would wait in case the situation escalates," said the document, adding that "insider's information revealed that there would be factions (in the military) that would withdraw support (from Arroyo)".

"Should the (March 31) mobilization fall short of expectation, they would mobilize again in April and on May 1, when they intend to target around 500,000 participants to encircle Malacanang," it said.

It said the mass actions by civilians would be supported by some mutinous soldiers and rebels from the New People's Army.

The document was "an assessment" of an 18-page record of an alleged meeting held on Feb. 20 between rightist and leftist militant forces bent on overthrowing the government, which was seized from a fugitive soldier named Lawrence San Juan, who was arrested on Feb. 21.

At the alleged meeting, some military men involved in anti- Arroyo plots said they were enjoying massive support from the Marine units, the Army's infantry units and Armor elements, who would be placed under the command of an army general named Danilo Lim in a possible coup.

Lim was sacked last week from his post as commander of the First Scout Ranger Regiment of the Philippine Army for his suspected support to anti-Arroyo forces.

The participants of the alleged meeting also discussed the establishment of a "council of transitional government" with the participation of Senate President Franklin Drilon, former president Cory Aquino, Senator Ping Lacson and former president Joseph Estrada.

Source: Xinhua


Comments on the story Comment on the story Recommend to friends Tell a friend Print friendly Version Print friendly format Save to disk Save this


   Recommendation
- Text Version
- RSS Feeds
- China Forum
- Newsletter
- People's Comment
- Most Popular
 Related News

Manufacturers, Exporters, Wholesalers - Global trade starts here.
Copyright by People's Daily Online, all rights reserved