Newsletter
Weather
Community
English home Forum Photo Gallery Features Newsletter Archive   About US Help Site Map
China
World
Opinion
Business
Sci-Edu
Culture/Life
Sports
Photos
 Services
- Newsletter
- Online Community
- China Biz Info
- News Archive
- Feedback
- Voices of Readers
- Weather Forecast
 RSS Feeds
- China 
- Business 
- World 
- Sci-Edu 
- Culture/Life 
- Sports 
- Photos 
- Most Popular 
- FM Briefings 
 Search
 About China
- China at a glance
- China in brief 2004
- Chinese history
- Constitution
- Laws & regulations
- CPC & state organs
- Ethnic minorities
- Selected Works of Deng Xiaoping

Home >> World
UPDATED: 10:39, January 10, 2006
Sao Tome's government says FM disloyal to cabinet in foreign aid
font size    

Sao Tome and Principe's government has said Foreign Minister Ovidio Pequeno has been disloyal to the cabinet and his explanation of the irregular use of foreign aid funds was "improper".

According to reports reaching here on Monday, Sao Tome's Cabinet, with Maria do Carmo Silveira Prime Minister, held an extraordinary meeting Saturday to discuss the week-old scandal, issuing a harsh statement condemning the spending of Moroccan aid funds by Pequeno.

But the cabinet did not say if any sanction it would take towards Pequeno, whose resignation has been demanded by parties backing the government.

The government's statement said, "as government, the Foreign Affairs Minister is hierarchically subordinate to the Prime Minister, before whom he has the duty to inform and the obligation of loyalty, leaving no room for secrecy", and described Pequeno's explanation of his use of 407,000 euros (about 488,000 US dollars), without government authorization, to buy goods, equipment and protocol vehicles through and the embassy account in Gabon as " improper".

The Prime Minister Silveira ordered an "urgent" inquiry into the affair last Tuesday after local newspaper Equador reported the alleged misuse of foreign aid funds by Pequeno, who was then absent on vacation in the United States.

On his return home Friday, the foreign minister issued a statement saying the funds had been a one-off and "direct" donation from the king of Morocco to de Menezes and, as such, could be transferred and spent without authorization from Silveira, who also serves as finance minister. Previous presidents had followed the same practice with such personal donations, Pequeno added.

Source: Xinhua


Comments on the story Comment on the story Recommend to friends Tell a friend Print friendly Version Print friendly format Save to disk Save this


   Recommendation
- Text Version
- RSS Feeds
- China Forum
- Newsletter
- People's Comment
- Most Popular
 Related News

Manufacturers, Exporters, Wholesalers - Global trade starts here.
Copyright by People's Daily Online, all rights reserved