Three Chinese were killed and one wounded Wednesday evening in bomb attacks against three hotels in the Jordanian capital Amman, said a press release carried on the Website of the Chinese Foreign Ministry on Thursday.
The dead and wounded were members of a delegation from China's University of National Defense, which happened to stay at one of the three hotels, the press release said.
The Foreign Affairs Office of China's Defense Ministry identified the dead as Sun Jingbo, Zhang Kangping and Pan Wei, who were at the age of 41, 42 and 44, respectively.
The wounded, 42-year-old Yao Liqiang, suffered from a leg fracture. Yao was under medical treatment at a military hospital and was out of danger, according to the Foreign Affairs Office.
The other members of the delegation have been transferred to one of Jordan's military bases under the escort of the Jordanian army, the office said.
Officials with the Foreign Ministry said the delegation arrived in Amman on Thursday and checked in at the Days Inn hotel.
At around 9:00 p.m. local time Thursday night, the delegation, seeing no sign of tragedy, was backing to the hotel after attending a welcoming dinner at the Chinese embassy in Jordan.
The bomb blasted on the street four to five meters outside the hotel, killing one Chinese on the spot and wounding another three. Two of the three wounded died later in hospital.
The Chinese government has dispatched an official working team to Amman to deal with the aftermath of the bomb attacks. The team left Beijing at 6:30 pm Thursday evening by plane.
The working team consisted of officials from the Chinese defense and foreign ministries, as well as families of the victims.
Chinese leaders expressed strong condemnation for the terrorist attacks and condolences to the victims and their relatives.
President Hu Jintao, who is in London for a state visit, has asked China's Foreign Ministry and relevant departments to take immediate measures and spare no efforts to save the wounded and properly handle remaining problems.
Hu has also sent a message of condolence to Jordanian King Abdullah II, in which he said the Chinese government condemns all forms of terrorism and is ready to strengthen cooperation with the international community, including Jordan, in fighting terrorism.
Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao conveyed through the Chinese Foreign Ministry his deep condolences and sincere sympathy to the victims and their relatives, demanding the foreign ministry coordinate well with relevant departments to handle the remaining problems.
Wen also advised the institutions and visiting teams in foreign countries to take necessary steps to guarantee the safety of people and property.
Luo Gan, member of the Standing Committee of the Communist Party of China (CPC) Central Committee, also urged Chinese embassies, Chinese-funded institutions and visiting teams in foreign countries to be cautious to ensure safety.
Chinese Foreign Minister Li Zhaoxing, who was accompanying President Hu in London, also sent a letter of condolence to his Jordanian counterpart, Faruq Kassrawi.
The Chinese Foreign Ministry has also advised Chinese nationals to avoid traveling to Jordan currently.
At least 57 people were killed and up to 300 others wounded in the blasts that struck the Grand Hyatt, the Radisson SAS and the Days Inn hotel in downtown Amman.
So far, no organizations have claimed responsibilities for the attacks.