The New Fourth Army's annals of war
In October 1937, the Kuomintang Party and the Communist Party of China (CPC) reached an agreement, deciding to reorganize the Red Army and the Red Army guerrilla forces in 14 prefectures of eight provinces in the south into the New Fourth Army of the national revolutionary army.
Ye Ting was appointed army commander, Xiang Ying deputy army commander and Zhang Yunyi chief of staff by the CPC Central Committee, they exercise administration over four detachments, the whole army totals 10,200 people.
In March 1938, the New Fourth Army proceeded northward and advanced eastward to fight Japanese aggressors. They opened up anti-Japanese base areas in Jiangsu Province and other places and persisted in anti-Japanese guerrilla warfare in north and south of the Yangtze River, giving a telling blow to Japanese troops.
Under the leadership of the CPC, the New Fourth Army, in the anti-Japanese flames of war, the New Fourth Army developed from small to big and from weak to strong, gradually becoming the main force persisting in fighting Japanese aggressors in the enemy rear areas in central China.
By People's Daily Online
Picture shows that in 1939, Zhou Enlai (third, right) had a group photo taken with Ye Ting (first, right), leader of the New Fourth Army at the New Fourth Army headquarters in Jingxian County, south Anhui Province, and other comrades.
Here is the New Fourth Army heroically blocking Japanese aggressors.
Picture shows that Liu Shaoqi (left) and Chen Yi (right) had a group photo taken with the Austrian doctor who worked with the New Fourth Army in Yancheng, north Jiangsu Province.
Picture shows that in 1938-1939 the New Fourth Army was fighting against mopping-up operations in Tongling and Fanchang regions, south Anhui Province, which greatly enhanced the combat capability of the New Fourth Army. Here is our forward position.
New Fourth Army are assembled in the Yansi Temple in south Anhui Province, awaiting orders to advance eastward to areas south of the Yangtze River.
Picture shows that in the autumn of 1940, Chen Yi (second, right) and Su Yu (first, right) at Huangqiao Bridge, Jiangsu Province.
Picture shows that in the battle in Chenjiagang (an important town in north Jiangsu Province) on May 3, 1944, the blockhouse of the Japanese puppet army¡¯s headquarters was hit by the shells of the New Fourth Army.
In the autumn of 1945, four brigades under the third division of the New Fourth Army totaling 3,500 people left north Jiangsu in their march toward the northeast.
|People's Daily Online --- http://english.people.com.cn/|