Philippine police is preparing preemptive strikes against the rebel group of the Abu Sayyaf and southeastern terrorist network of the Jemaah Islamiyah (JI) followings two bombings in the south, an army spokesman said Friday.
Chief Superintendent Leopoldo Bataoil told reporters that the police will hunt down terrorists in their hideouts through preemptive strikes.
Bataoil said that aided by intelligence reports, they will not conduct their search and arrest only in the southern Muslim-dominated islands of Mindanao but also other areas including Metro Manila.
The police has been put on full alert after two bombings in Zamboanga city on Wednesday night, leaving at least 26 injured. So far there has been nobody claiming responsibilities for the attacks.
However, security officials blamed the al-Qaeda linked Abu Sayyaf and JI for the Zamboanga blasts, which they said were meant to divert their attention from pursuit operations against Abu Sayyaf chieftain Khadaffy Janjalani in Maguindanao province.
On Thursday, National Security Adviser Norberto Gonzales said at a press briefing that 10 Indonesian suicide bombers are in the country.
He also said that there are four "sensitive targets" of terrorist bombings in Metro Manila but without giving details.
Metro Manila police chief Vidal Querol earlier said in a radio interview that uniformed policemen would guard passenger buses, metro trains, and transport terminals.
The regional militant network in the Philippines, Jemaah Islamiah, by taking advantage of the porous maritime borders, has long used Mindanao as a training ground and safe haven.
Abu Sayyaf was known for kidnappings for ransom before being blamed for deadly bombings in February this year and a blast on a ferry in Manila Bay in 2004, killing more than 100.