Two Indonesian suicide bombers may be in Manila, planning terrorist attacks with members of the Abu Sayyaf Group, Philippine national security adviser Norberto Gonzales said on Thursday.
There may be four "sensitive targets" of terrorist bombings in Metro Manila, according to Gonzales, but without giving details.
"We have credible reports -- and this is coming from sources of friendly countries and our own -- that there are 10 suicide bombers being sent to the Philippines," Gonzales told a press briefing.
Two of the bombers may have been sent to Metro Manila, Gonzales said.
Gonzales also said the Philippines could become "a major target " in a global expansion of militant violence.
He said some of the information had come from suspected militants now in custody and a task force had been set up to track down the Indonesians.
The regional militant network in the Philippines, Jemaah Islamiah, taking advantage of porous maritime borders, has long used Mindanao as a training ground and safe haven but it is also believed to be funding and advising local rebel militants.
Abu Sayyaf was mainly known for kidnappings for ransom before being blamed for deadly bombings in February this year and a blast on a ferry in Manila Bay in 2004 killing more than 100 people.