Cuban leader Fidel Castro has called for a demonstration next Tuesday to protest against what he described as the support of the United States to an individual involved in terrorist acts against the island.
Castro condemned on Tuesday evening the refusal of the United States to capture and indict Cuban Luis Posada Carriles, who currently is in US territory, local media reported Wednesday.
"We won't just stay like this," Castro said. "We are going to demand justice and the end of support to assassins."
The demonstration will take place outside the United States Office for Cuban Interests, said the Cuban leader.
Posada Carriles, 77, was involved in the destruction of a Cuban airliner, killing 73 people in 1976 off the coast of Barbados, and a wave of bomb attacks on tourist centers resulting in the death of an Italian in 1997, in Havana.
Castro called on the Organization of American States (OAS) and the government of Chile to express their position on the Posada Carriles case. Newly elected OAS Secretary-General Jose Miguel Insulza is currently Chile's interior minister.
"We would like to have a word from them to learn whether or not they are in favor of bringing this criminal to justice," he said.
In August 2004, Posada Carriles and three other Cubans were pardoned by then Panamanian President Mireya Moscoso. They had been in jail since November 2000, after being captured for planning an attack on Castro in Panama during an Summit of Ibero- American countries.
Declassified US documents show that Posada Carriles, who is seeking asylum in the United States, spent years on the CIA payroll, reports said.
CIA and FBI files, published by George Washington University's National Security Archive, revealed that US investigators believed Posada Carriles was involved in the 1976 bombing of the Cubana Airlines jet that killed 73 passengers, including teenage members of a Cuban fencing team.