English home Forum Photo Gallery Features Newsletter Archive   About US Help Site Map
- Newsletter
- Online Community
- China Biz Info
- News Archive
- Feedback
- Voices of Readers
- Weather Forecast
 RSS Feeds
- China 
- Business 
- World 
- Sci-Edu 
- Culture/Life 
- Sports 
- Photos 
- Most Popular 
- FM Briefings 
 About China
- China at a glance
- Chinese history
- Constitution
- Laws & regulations
- CPC & state organs
- Chinese leadership
- Selected Works of Deng Xiaoping

Home >> China
UPDATED: 09:42, April 28, 2005
HK joins international community against spam
font size    

Hong Kong Wednesday joined the international community to strengthen cooperation and exchange of information in fighting spam.

The Commerce, Industry and Technology Bureau of Hong Kong and other 11 agencies from Chinese mainland, Australia, South Korea, Malaysia, Philippine and New Zealand has signed a multilateral memorandum to fight against junk mail, or spam, which is becoming a big problem of the internet, Hong Kong government said in a press release.

John Tsang, the secretary of the bureau said that international cooperation was important in helping to contain the problem of spam, which accounted for over 60 percent of mails in Hong Kong according to studies. Among them, only 5 percent originate from local sources, with the other 95 percent from other overseas countries like the United States and South Korea.

The purpose of the Seoul-Melbourne Multilateral Memorandum of Understanding on Co-operation in Countering Spam is to encourage closer cooperation among the signatories in minimizing spam originating in or passing through each region to end users. The signatories will also promote the exchange of information on technical, educational and policy solutions to the problem under the framework.

Comments on the story Comment on the story Recommend to friends Tell a friend Print friendly Version Print friendly format Save to disk Save this

- China Forum
- PD Newsletter
- People's Comment
- Most Popular
 Related News
- Hong Kong takes measures to tackle spamming

- Anti-spamming bill to be tabled at HK's Legislative Council

- HK to launch tough anti-spam campaign

Online marketplace of Manufacturers & Wholesalers

Copyright by People's Daily Online, all rights reserved