Chinese Mainland Reports 3,303 SARS Cases

The Chinese mainland reported 202 new severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) cases between 10:00 a.m. of April 28 and 10:00 a.m. of April 29, according to the Ministry of Health Tuesday.

In the same period 16 patients were discharged from hospitals upon recovery and nine died, said the ministry's information office.

The cumulative SARS cases on the Chinese mainland rose to 3,303 as of 10:00 a.m. on Tuesday, said the ministry.

From 10:00 a.m. April 28 to 10:00a.m. April 29, Beijing reported 152 new SARS cases and seven deaths from the disease, the Ministry of Health said.

The number of severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) cases in Beijing totaled 1,347 as of 10:00 a.m. April 29.

Of the SARS patients in the Chinese capital, 83 have been discharged from hospitals upon recovery and 66 have died, the information office of the ministry said.

Of these figures:

Beijing reported 152 new cases, 5 patients recovered and 7 deaths. Of the 152 cases, 49 used to be suspected cases and now are confirmed as SARS patients;Tianjin reported 1 new case; Hebei reported 9 new cases, 1 death; Shanxi reported 23 new cases, 1 patient recovered; Inner Mongolia reported 7 new cases, 1 death; Anhui reported 1 new case; Henan reported 1 new case; Guangdong reported 4 new cases, and 10 recovered; Guangxi reported 1 new case; Shaanxi reported 3 new cases.

By 10 am of April 29, China had a total of 3,303 SARS cases (including 709 medical workers), which included 1,322 patients who had recovered and been discharged from hospital and 148 deaths. Beijing reported 4 patients (including 1 medical worker) who had been falsely diagnosed with SARS. Inner Mongolia had one case reported twice Monday, so the repeated case was removed in Tuesday's report.

From 10 am of April 28 to 10 am of April 29, China also reported 321 new suspected cases, including 149 from Beijing, 8 from Tianjin, 12 from Hebei, 49 from Shanxi, 30 from Inner Mongolia, 2 from Liaoning, 1 from Shanghai, 1 from Jiangsu, 1 from Anhui, 3 from Henan, 2 from Hubei, 1 from Hunan, 54 from Guangdong, 2 from Chongqing, 4 from Sichuan, 1 from Shaanxi, and 1 from Gansu. By 10 am of April 29, China had a total of 2,259 suspected cases.



People's Daily Online --- http://english.peopledaily.com.cn/